Arena for Journalism in Europe is looking for a managing director
We are looking for a person to develop and run the income generation, marketing and management of Arena for Journalism in Europe. The new managing director will co-lead along with our editorial director, this is a shared management set-up with both directors referring to the board.
The organisation and the overall task
We are a public interest organisation in the field of journalism, registered in the Netherlands and with a European perspective.
We support collaborative, investigative, data, and other innovative journalism practices in Europe. We are commitment-driven and believe that in-depth journalism is crucial to knowledge sharing, critical thinking and political life in European societies. Arena was founded in early 2019, by now we have established a clear profile of activities and are moving towards the next phase.
Though a young organisation, we work with a large community network and have a well-established brand. Ethics, integrity, transparency, and respectful collaboration are among the keywords in this community and govern our activities. Our main activity is Dataharvest – the European Investigative Journalism Conference, an annual conference addressing journalists in Europe, first held in 2009 and currently gathering around 500-600 participants.
We rely upon foundation support and some self-generated income through our activities. We want to maintain a mixed model but to expand the percentage of self-generated income. Our new co-director is going to take the lead on this. Further development tasks can become part of the job in the future, we thus look for a person who can see opportunities and develop models to make them happen.
The job includes strategic development of the organisation in close cooperation with the editorial director, the team and supported by the board. Our currently eight team members (some of them part time) work remotely from different parts of Europe, we do not have nor do we want an office: We do not control work hours, instead we focus on results. We collaborate and look out for each other within the team in regular in-person and online meetings. Our new colleague thus needs to be comfortable with working remotely and in a small team in start-up mode. Our working language is English, and the position will require a moderate amount of travelling, mainly in Europe.
Key Activities and Responsibilities
Organisation building & management
Arena is an organisation in growth and in the middle of a move from a start-up-mode to the next level. This includes organisational work, strategic planning, as well as a clear branding and communication plan. The new managing director will play a significant role in this work in close cooperation with the editorial director and the team of journalists. The managing director will be responsible for the sound management of the organisation.
We offer attractive structures and competences for a particular niche of the journalism community. For our conference and seminars, participation indicates that journalists across Europe appreciates these activities. Yet, we have not systematically developed the income-generation potential of what we have built so far. The new managing director will develop the income generation, beginning with the conference. In the future, income generation based on our other activities should be designed and developed.
Currently, Arena’s work is largely made possible by support from foundations in different countries. We want to strengthen our fundraising and improve the balance between core and project funding. Further, we are involved in EU grant applications and will evaluate and potentially develop this option further. The new co-director will ultimately take the lead and coordination of our fundraising activities.
- The candidate has the managerial and interpersonal competences to work in a young but already respected international organisation with a decentralised team in an intentionally flat hierarchy.
- The candidate has the marketing and business development competences and ambitions to envision, plan and develop income generation connected to our activities. This includes an entrepreneurial drive.
- The candidate has experience in the managerial competences required for the position including finance management.
- The candidate has project management skills and experience.
- The candidate can take a lead role in managing our fundraising activities and has the interpersonal and managerial competences to develop and carry out a fundraising strategy. Fundraising experience is desirable.
- The candidate brings respect for the publicist vision, experience with journalism related activities is an asset. The candidate brings leadership ambitions and competences to fulfil a management role in a publicist organisation.
- Our working language is English, further language competences, particularly Dutch, are an asset.
What makes this position attractive
- An organisation, where collaboration and mutual respect are central.
- A position where you can shape developments and strategies.
- A position where you will work with an extensive network of the best journalists and editors across Europe.
- A job with flexible and remote working conditions.
Closing date for this call: 23th of November 2021
Starting date: As soon as possible
Contract: Three years starting with a probationary period, option for prolongation if funding is obtained.
This is a full-time position.
Please apply with your CV (in English) and a motivation letter of maximum one page to tell us how your profile matches with the requirements and what your visions are. Please send your application to email@example.com and mark it APPLICATION.
If you have any questions regarding Arena or the present position, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and mark it QUESTION ABOUT JOB.