Konow-Lund, M., Gearing, A. & Berglez, P. (2019). Transnational Cooperation in Journalism. In: Nussbaum, J.F. Oxford Research Encyclopedias, Communication.
The practical guides
Alfter, B. (2019). Cross-border Collaborative Journalism. A Step-By-Step Guide. Routledge.
Grzeszyk, T. & Alfter, B. (2018). Cross-border journalism as a mindset / Cross-border journalism as a method. Hostwriter.
Academics’ and practitioners’ reflections on the new method (and mindset) of cross-border collaborative journalism
In reverse chronological order of publication:
Heft, Annett & Baack, Stefan (2021): Cross-bordering journalism: How intermediaries of change drive the adoption of new practices. Journalism, Sage Journals.
Heft, Annett (2021): Transnational Journalism Networks “From Below”. Cross-Border Journalistic Collaboration in Individualized Newswork. Journalism Studies, Routledge.
Konow-Lund, M. (2019): Negotiating Roles and Routines in Collaborative Investigative Journalism. Media and Communication. Cogitatio.
Krüger, U.; Knorr, C. & Finke, F. (2019): Cross-Border Non-Profit Investigative Journalism Networks: A Structural Analysis of the Field. Conference paper at the Global Investigative Journalism Conference in Hamburg, p. 404-429.
Lück, J. & Schultz, T. (2019). Investigative Data Journalism in a Globalized World: A Survey Study on ICIJ Journalists. Journalism Research 2(2), 93-114.
Hellmüller, L. & Konow-Lund, M. (2019). Transnational Journalism. The International Encyclopedia of Journalism Studies. Wiley.
Lee, T. (ed.) (2019). Unbias the News. Hostwriter & Correctiv.
Alfter, B. & Candea, S. (eds.) (2019). Journal for Applied Journalism and Media Studies – special Issue on Cross-border Collaborative Journalism, anthology. Ingenta Publishing. Including:
- Alfter, Brigitte & Candea, Stefan (2019): Cross-border collaborative journalism: New practice, new questions (pre-print version available).
- Meyer, Gitte (2019): Essay: Varieties of cross-border journalism (pre-print version available).
- Grzeszyk, Tabea (2019): Diversity matters! How cross-border journalism calls out media bias (pre-print version available).
- Heft, Annett (2019): The Panama Papers investigation and the scope and boundaries of its networked publics: Cross-border journalistic collaboration driving transnationally networked public spheres
- Gearing, Amanda & Berglez, Peter (2019): The microcosm of global investigative journalism: Understanding cross-border connections beyond the ICIJ
Sambrook, R. (ed.) (2018). Global Teamwork: The rise of collaboration in investigative journalism. Anthology by academics and practitioners. Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, Oxford. Including:
- Lewis, Charles (2018): Tear Down These Walls: Innovations in Collaborative Accountability Research and Reporting
- Alfter, Brigitte (2018): New Method, New Skill, New Position? Editorial Coordinators in Cross-Border Collaborative Teams
- Kayser-Bril, Nicolas (2018): Collaboration – One Tool among Many
- Koch, Anne (2018): Investigative Journalism and Advocacy: Natural Allies?
Heft, A., Alfter, B. & Pfetsch, B. (2017). Transnational journalism networks as drivers of Europeanisation. Journalism, Volume: 20 issue: 9, page(s): 1183-1202.
Alfter, B. (2016). Cross-Border Collaborative Journalism: Why Journalists and Scholars Should Talk about an Emerging Method. Journal of Applied Journalism and Media Studies 5/2: 297–311. (Pre-print version available).
PhD theses about crossborder collaborative journalism
To our best knowledge, at this stage (early 2022) there are two full PhD theses carried out on crossborder journalism. If you are aware of others, please let us know!
Candea, Stefan (2020). Cross-border Investigative Journalism: a critical perspective. PhD thesis University of Westminster Westminster School of Media and Communication.
Demeneck, Ben-Hur (2016). Journalismo transnacional: Prática, métoodo e conceito (Transnational Journalism: Practice, Method and Concept). PhD thesis at the University of Sao Paolo.
Teaching crossborder collaborative journalism
Alfter, Brigitte; Wiik, Jenny; Deuze, Mark (2019). Taking stock of crossborder journalism education in times of cross-border collaboration. Conference paper at the Global Investigative Journalism Conference in Hamburg. Academic track reader page 72-92.
Bettels-Schwabbauer, Tina; Leihs, Nadia; Polyák, Gábor; Torbó, Annamária; Pinto Martinho, Ana; Crespo, Miguel; Radu, Raluca (2018). Newsreel – New Skills for the Next Generation of Journalists. A research report as stocktaking for an Erasmus+ project including.