Arena for Journalism in Europe is looking for a truly versatile finance profile with strong accounting flair to join the growing organisation.
As the young organisation moves into a new and more established phase, we’re looking to beef up our financial operations capacity. In this new role, you will help develop and improve the overall organisational financial management and the related processes in close collaboration with the Arena management, operations colleagues and project leads.
The job is a half-time position (0.5 FTE), and the scope of role includes:
- In charge of organisational accounting, including bookkeeping and preparing the annual accounts in compliance with relevant legislation.
- Financial planning and budgeting with support from management and wider team, including the organisational budget, project budgets and scenario planning.
- Responsible for processing of payments and ensuring our payment system runs smoothly.
- Cash-flow analysis and leading on ongoing spending reviews in liaison with project budget holders.
- Preparing financial reporting in line with funder requirements.
- Additional finance-related tasks, such as providing advice and input on tax and VAT compliance, fundraising, reserves policy, etc.
Who are you?
- Extensive experience with financial operations in the not-for-profit sector, especially with accounting, budgeting and general financial management.
- Experience with bookkeeping and using accounting software.
- Strong collaborative mind-set and experience working closely with others, while also able to handle tasks independently and reliably.
- Comfortable to be working in an evolving organisation.
- Excellent level written and spoken English.
- Based in a European country.
- Knowledge of Dutch financial regulations and/or fluency in Dutch is an advantage but not a requirement.
Who are we?
Arena for Journalism in Europe is a journalism NGO with a European perspective. We support collaborative, investigative, data and other innovative journalism practices in Europe. We believe that in-depth journalism is crucial to knowledge-sharing, critical thinking and political life in European societies. The organisation was founded in early 2019 and has established a clear profile of activities.
Arena is based in the Netherlands, but team members work remotely from all over Europe. We meet several times a year, collaborate and look out for each other within the team. Our new colleague therefore needs to be comfortable with working remotely and in a small team in start-up mode. We expect approximately 20 travel days per year. Our working language is English.
Arena for Journalism in Europe is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications that can make the organisation a better reflection of society.
As a new team member, you will have influence on the development of our fast-growing organisation. You get a job with flexible and remote working conditions on freelance-basis and a one-year contract with the intention of an extension. The remuneration level is €70-80k annually pro rata.
To apply, please send a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role (no more than two pages) with your CV to Mikala Rasmussen, Operations Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org by 23:59 CEST, October 8, 2023.
If you have any questions about the role or applying, please get in touch.